Tuesday 15 January 2013

I'm an addictive book-buyer

My book pile is getting out of control. Every time I look, it's taller and while I could never feel easy if I had no books waiting for me to read them, even I don't need this many.

It has also been pointed out to me that my books may be using a disproportionate amount of space in our house.

I buy books because I love to read them. But I have to admit that I buy a lot more than I can read. The pile's even bigger than it looks because inside the Kindle at its base are another twenty or so unread books.

My name is Sarah and I'm a compulsive book buyer.

At the weekend I was talking with a friend about comfort eating. Her daughter eats boxes of ice cream when she's had a bad day. My friend buys clothes. I - well, I buy a book - even if I don't open it, it's there, promising escape. It feels good in my hand.

But I don't need to buy any more.

There, I've said it.

I'm not buying another book until I've read everything in this pile.

Gulp.



No comments:

Post a Comment