Monday 23 May 2011

Robin Robertson top of the pops

Way back in January I posted about hearing Robin Robertson read on the radio. To my pleasure, when I was driving home yesterday, I heard him read At Roane Head again - I'm guessing it was on Poetry Please, though I only caught the end of the programme. It was as fearful and black as ever and a lesson in always pushing on into dark territory if that's where you're being led.

Anyway, to my considerable surprise this mornng, I found that there had been more clicks on my blog than ever before, and it's entirely due to people searching for Robin Robertson and At Roane Head and ending up here. I'm sorry everyone if you were looking for insight and information.

I can tell you though, that I bought the collection that At Roane Head appears in - The Wrecking Light - and took it up to my bedside table, as I most often read poetry in bed. Not this one though - it's the stuff of nightmares, literally. I went back to Pepys and easy nights.

I've just brought the collection downstairs and put it hopefully on my office rocking chair. I've so much work at the moment that there's little chance of me reading anything during the day for weeks, but it's there as a reward - I'll be reading it sometime in June, I hope, when I emerge from writing my builder's website, and the feature about intervenors for Sense, and the Guardian feature that's just been commissioned ... and the short stories that are jiggling around in the outer edges of my thoughts.

I can't wait to read on from the tantilising first line 'Only a blue string ties him to the present' that caught my eye when I opened up The Wrecking Light just now to write this entry. Better get working!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0118cnc#synopsis

No comments:

Post a Comment