Friday 10 December 2010

String theory


It seems amazing that from black and white marks on a page, and a well carved piece of 19th century timber, we can make such beautiful sounds. Tonight I'm playing in a concert with the East Grinstead Chamber Orchestra - Corelli, Boccherini, Mozart, and the odd man out in this company, Rachmaninov. We're supporting two young soloists, Laura van der Heijden (cello) and Olga Zadorozhnuik (piano) and to my enormous pleasure there are great chunks where as the lowest of the low in cello terms I sit in silence and lap up their gorgeous playing. Even better, when I am playing, I can actually play the music quite well, so I can really enjoy being part of the great sound-making machine that is an orchestra.


I put all the music in my Spotify library so that I could get the feel of them - if you've got Spotify and click on these links you can hear an ideal version of our concert wherever you are.

Arcangelo Corelli – Concerto Grosso In G Minor, Op. 6, No. 8, "Christmas Concerto" : I. Vivace - Grave
Arcangelo Corelli – Concerto Grosso In G Minor, Op. 6, No. 8, "Christmas Concerto" : II. Allegro
Arcangelo Corelli – Concerto Grosso In G Minor, Op. 6, No. 8, "Christmas Concerto" : III. Adagio - Allegro - Adagio
Tim Hugh – Cello Concerto No. 3 In G Major, G. 480: I. Allegro
Tim Hugh – Cello Concerto No. 3 In G Major, G. 480: II. Adagio
Tim Hugh – Cello Concerto No. 3 In G Major, G. 480: III. Allegro
The Amsterdam Baroque Orchestra – Mozart: Harpsichord Concerto in G, K.107 No.2 after J.C. Bach's Sonata Op. 5 No. 3 - 1. Allegro
Ton Koopman – Mozart: Harpsichord Concerto in G, K.107 No.2 after J.C. Bach's Sonata Op. 5 No. 3 - 2. Thema (Allegretto) mit Variazionen
Dallas Symphony Orchestra – Rachmaninoff: Vocalise For Orchestra, Op. 34, No. 14 - Vocalise For Orchestra, Op. 34, No. 14
South Europe Philharmonic Orchestra – Vocalise Op.34/14

No comments:

Post a Comment